Signs that Your House Needs Rewiring

House fires are extremely deadly and can happen at any time if you do not pay attention to the warning signs. There are warning signs that indicate that something is wrong with the electrical components of your home. Before something goes wrong, you should call a licensed electrician for an inspection. It’s the safest thing to do! First, you must understand the warning signs clearly before calling a licensed professional electrician. Most people neglect these signs or do not know them. By learning these warning signs and taking the right steps, you and your family will stay safe!

1. Smell of burning
It can be scary not to know where a burning smell comes from in your home. An electric fire or a circuit breaker has an unpleasant and hard odor. An electric fire that ignites surrounding materials gives off a smell of smoke. If you smell these odors at home, call an emergency electrician 24/7! Always keep a fire extinguisher handy in case of an emergency. In some cases, short circuits occur in the electrical outlet. However, if a short circuit occurs in the wiring inside the wall, the surrounding materials can easily ignite. If you detect a burning smell, close the circuit breaker or remove the fuse until the electrician arrives.

2. Lights that flicker and dim
Lights that flicker and dim occur due to an overloaded circuit. When a motorized device comes on, it draws more power, which can cause your lights to fluctuate. It’s a bit normal. You will rarely see lights that twinkle and darken if there is good wiring in the circuit, however, this can happen even with proper wiring. If this happens often, it may be a sign of faulty wiring or a bad breaker that needs to be replaced.

3. Circuit breakers and fuses trip regularly
Circuit breakers trip to protect your home from fire. A circuit breaker trips when the circuit is overloaded. Fuses work in the same way, but the difference between a circuit breaker and a fuse is that a circuit breaker is reusable, while a fuse must be replaced when it is off. There may be two reasons why a circuit breaker or fuse goes off regularly. If too many high amperage devices are connected to a single circuit, the circuit breaker or fuse may be shut down because the total number of amperes connected is greater than the circuit breaker or fuse. However, there may be a short circuit in the electrical wiring if the amp charge of the devices is lower than that for which the circuit breaker or fuse is rated.

4. Sockets and switches that are buzzing or discolored
Sockets or switches that are buzzing or discolored are extremely dangerous. This means that something is wrong and can cause a fire. If you encounter this, then you should call a licensed electrician and replace the outlets and switches immediately. However, the problem is not always in the socket or the switch. Sometimes, there is faulty wiring in the circuit or near a plug or switch. A loose connection in the sockets or even the switches is also a reason why short circuits can occur. This may result in a spark or a small fire that makes the surface of the socket humming and fading.

If you have experienced even just one of these signs, Please do not hesitate in contacting us. It’s always better to be safe than sorry!